ELI Alumni Spotlight: Thais from Brazil

This is Thais. She attended the ELI for two terms in 2014 as part of a special Brazil Scientific Mobility Program (BSMP). After attending the ELI, she attended the University of Tennessee for two semesters, taking Chemical Engineering classes. She went back to Brazil in December 2016 to finish her degree. Currently, she is in her last semester of college. She works as English tutor in her university and as research assistant in a solar energy research group. How exciting!

Thais told us that the ELI was like a key to open new doors for her future. Here is what she said:

“In my first day of class, I was told that learning English is to get a key that opens a door to a vast new world. As a researcher, I can say that English is essential to have access to the most recent information about what is being discovered and published in the most prestigious academic journals and magazines. So, without the ELI and its wonderful teachers, I wouldn’t be able to keep learning and researching about solar energy technologies and to work for a clean energy future for my country.”

That is amazing. We are so glad that we could help you, and help Brazil, too!