Living close to campus helps you to take advantage of many cultural, social, and language benefits. Students who live close to campus have more opportunities to engage in campus activities and make new friends, which helps improve their language learning.
Students who choose to live on campus must read the contract carefully. For more information and instructions on how to apply, visit the University Housing website.
Benefits of living in university housing:
- Within walking distance of campus
- Near bus and trolley routes
- Roommate can be found for you
- Utilities, internet, furniture included
- Often coupled with a university meal plan
Note: The university does not offer family housing.
Please be advised that the English Language Institute is not responsible for the content of any third-party housing websites. Information on third-party websites may change at any time without notice.
General information regarding off-campus housing can be found on the Off-Campus and Commuter Services website.
Benefits of living in an apartment close to campus:
- May be within walking distance of campus
- May be near bus or trolley route
- Some apartments offer shuttle service, but pay attention to schedule times
- Can choose roommates (ELI recommends finding an American roommate or living with someone who speaks a different language.)
- No need to leave or move during university breaks
ELI does not offer home-stays.
Many housing options are close to campus and bus routes. To check bus routes and schedules, visit the Knoxville Area Transit (KAT) website.
*Disclaimer: ELI students must find their own housing and must be aware of each facility’s contract agreements. Housing may involve paying a security deposit, and it is important to make sure the lease agreement isn’t broken for the length of time you plan to stay.