A Message from Dr. Hamrick to all ELI students

Dear ELI Students:

As you know, this week the U.S. government announced study requirements for F-1 students and universities for the fall semester. You can read the announcement here.

I want you to know 4 things about these requirements:

1. These requirements are very unusual. UTK leaders and I were very surprised by this information.
  2. The U.S. system of government gives people the chance to disagree with these requirements and to try to get the government to make changes. Many universities (including UTK), professional organizations, and citizens are protesting these requirements. I believe that the requirements will be changed before ELI begins the Fall 2020 term.
  3. Your teachers and I will create a class schedule for the fall that meets the government’s requirements. You will not need to transfer to another school or leave the USA.
  4. If you are planning to begin undergraduate or graduate courses at UTK in the fall semester, the Center for Global Engagement (CGE) will work with you to ensure that you will be able to enroll in courses and to maintain immigration status. You can learn more about CGE’s response here.

ELI’s goal is to have safe and healthy classes and to have those classes meet all government requirements. The uncertainty of this week’s announcement may have caused anxiety and frustration. ELI is committed to you, and your teachers and I want to support you. As this situation evolves, we will continue to communicate with you. Please feel free to share this letter with your families, your sponsor, or with your friends who have questions. If you have questions about the government’s requirements or about ELI’s plans, please contact me.

Sincerely,